Syosset Basketball Intramural Program has been around for 50+ years. The league was created for students of the Syosset School District to have a fun with friends and fellow class mates in a friendly and competitive town program.
The league is designed for students of all ages and skill levels. Read below for more information.
Syosset Basketball Intramural Program has been around for 50+ years. The league was created for students of the Syosset School District to have fun with friends and fellow class mates in a friendly and competitive town program. The league is designed for students of all ages and skill levels. Read below for more information.
Syosset Boys Basketball League organizes and runs clinics, intramural and travel programs for boys grades K-12 and girls grades K-8. Registration is the first week after school opens and travel tryouts begin shortly thereafter. Intra-mural practices begin in late October and games start the week before Thanksgiving and run through the end of March (11th/12th league begins in the spring after the varsity season ends). The regular season consists of games followed by playoffs. Time-permitting, younger grades will have an all-star game at the end of the season. Leagues are two school grade years combined (i.e. 3rd and 4th, 5th and 6th). 3rd/4th league and 5th/6th league plays games on Saturdays with one practice during the week, usually Mon. - Wed. night. The 7th/8th, 9th/10th and 11th/12th leagues play during the week, usually Mon. - Thurs. evenings. Each team has two-three practices before the season starts, then one - two games per week.
The mission of this league is to make available an organized, safe, competitive basketball environment that is fun for all players and parents. We have a code of ethics that is outlined below.
Code of ethics
-We encourage good sportsmanship by all players, parents, coaches and officials.
-The emotional well-being of the player takes precedence over the desire to win.
-We insist that all children play in a safe and healthy environment.
-We expect parents to support coaches and officials working with their children to encourage a positive and enjoyable experience for all.
-We demand a sports environment for all players that is free of drugs, tobacco and alcohol.
-We expect all parents to remember that the game is for the players - not for the adults.
-We expect all parents to make youth sports fun for their child.
-We expect all players to treat other players, coaches and officials with respect regardless of race, sex, creed, or ability.
It is the league's policy not to add any player to a team once the leagues draft has concluded. This is in an effort to maintain the integrity of the draft and an effort to try an achieve a balance among teams. We do not want the level of play of a late registrant to be a factor in whether we allow the player to join. It is our desire that every player who wants to play should play but we must establish a cutoff at some point.
COVID-19 Protocols and Prevention
Syosset Basketball 2021-2022 COVID-19 Protocols
Syosset Basketball will implement COVID-19 protocols to ensure the safety of our players, coaches, officials, scorers, and spectators to the best of our ability. Syosset Basketball will follow the Nassau County and Syosset School district guidelines that are required of us. In addition, Syosset Basketball will implement our own set of guidelines to ensure everyone's safety. Please read our protocols below:
- All persons that enter the school building will have to wear a face covering.
- Players will need to wear face coverings while playing (NO EXEMPTIONS)
- We regret that during games, due to social distancing and limited capacity, we can only admit one of the player’s immediate family into the gym. Grandparents will only be admitted if they are the primary care giver of the household.
- To help limit exposure of COVID-19 we are only allowing coaches and players to be present at practices.
- Spectators must be adhered to maintaining the six-foot social distancing guidelines.
- Gyms must be cleared out before the next teams enter the school building.
- Next Teams up will wait outside until they are allowed into the gym.
- NO players, coaches, officials, scorers, and spectators can enter the gym with a pending COVID-19 test.
- No shaking hands before and after games.
- Participants will not give physical high fives or other physical positive reinforcement contact with other participants or coaches.
- The “Game ball” will be declared prior to game and will be wiped down before the game, after each quarter, and after the game has ended.