Syosset Basketball League Parent Pledge
Parents are vital to the development of young athletes. Whether sitting in the stands or helping out as volunteers, parents must set a positive example. Parents and adults involved in youth sports should be models of good sportsmanship and lead by example on and off the playing field. All compliance infractions will be reviewed by the SBL board of committee for appropriate actions.
When attending Syosset Basketball League events, I therefore agree:
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of the children above any desire to win. I will help my child understand the valuable lessons sports can teach and in doing so understand that my child cannot change teams once he has been placed on one.
- I will be a role model of good sportsmanship and character. I will help my child meet his/her responsibilities to the coach and the team.
- I will do my best to make sure that the game is fun for all the participants.
- I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and sportsmanship to all participants, coaches, parents, officials, recreation staff, and the public. I will treat them all with respect.
- I will only make positive and encouraging comments to players, fans and coaches from both teams. I will not interfere or coach from the stands.
- I will strive to create a positive recreational experience for everyone involved in the SBL Program.
- I will remember that I am an SBL parent, and will remember the game is for the children and not the adults. Accordingly, I will encourage my child to play sports by providing a supportive atmosphere without pressure.
- I will abide by any and all SBL rules and regulations and rulings set forth by the SBL Board Members.
- I will remember to be a good sport at all times, win or lose.